Team! Welcome Back
It’s the most stressful uhhmmm….I mean wonderful time of the year! Welcome back students and I hope you had a very restful and thankful holiday. Now, we have a mere 3 short weeks till we are out again for the Winter Holidays. Yet, these next three weeks may be more of the most stressful and jam packed of the year! We have a lot going on and it was good (and tough) today getting back into the groove again. I laid out a glimpse of what will be happening over the course of the next 3 weeks so here it is again for a breakdown:
- San Diego Mini Maker Faire- this Saturday at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. I have asked any of you who would be interested in presenting your Rocket Project at Maker Faire this weekend. I’ll have information letter and permission slips tomorrow.
- K-8 Rocket Exhibition- this will include everyone on our team as we present our Actually, It IS Rocket Science Project on Thursday, Dec. 19th 5:30 to 6:30. Save the Date!!
- Rocket Build- we are in the midst of building our rockets this week and my hope is that we can have the bulk of the Rocket completed and ready for some initial testing by the end of the week.
- Black Belt & Final Discipline Exam- in 2 weeks, you will have to have your Black Belt and be ready for our final exam in math covering the Yellow Belt, Orange Belt, Blue Belt and Black Belt all in one…Finals exams are a part of the high school world so be ready and prepared. More to come but I encourage you to take careful notes on all POD’s.
- Where R U at? Today, you completed a survey to see where you are at on some important work. Are you a Blue Belt yet? If not, time is ticking a way and you know Mr. Holmes is making a list….get it taken care of…I am available for tutoring. We’ll have another round of advancements this Friday and I expect all of you who are Blue Belts now, to be ready to earn that most coveted belt. Also, we discussed the importance of the T-10 Propulsions Questions, Momentum-Impulse Assignment and others that you should have already completed in preparation for the upcoming Rocket Science Exhibition. It is YOUR responsibility to take care of your work! Check in with me!
This week, let’s get those Rockets built and be working on your Belt Scrolls…for most of you, that is your Black Belt Scroll on D=RT and conversions.
I am so thankful this week! Thankful for a lot of things not the least of which is that this is the last week of school before we have a week long holiday! I am also thankful for how hard everyone has been working and pushing themselves toward their next belt in Judo Math. Robert Moreno came in last week twice afterschool just to get his Blue Belt and Hassan came in to tutoring this morning to work on his Orange Belt. I am also want to thank and applaud our first 3 Black Belts!! Hip-Hip Hooray….to Taylor Zachary, Diego Diez De Bonilla, and Bobby Pinski.
It is super important that you really, really try hard to advance this week to the next belt level. You don’t want to try to return after Thanksgiving still having to work on an old belt while also trying to get a new one! Plus, there is a new discipline soon! For HW tonight, work on the scroll for your belt level. If you feel compelled (and it’s worth it) come by after school tutoring for some help…
We are designing our rocket guidance system this week so prepare to work on the nose and fin systems of your rockets!
Last but not least, work on your T-10 Rocket Science Questions for HW. I handed those out last week on Thursday! But, here they are if you lost them: T-10 RSciencePropulsion
It will be helpful going to this site: NASA Rocket Research Start Your Journey
1 Week till Thanksgiving…let’s make a strong push so we can rest easily over the break knowing that you advanced a belt level and have completed the first base model of your rocket!
Check out the rocket video from last week’s challenge:
We are in full swing and I have to say that I love the focus you have displayed the past 2 days in math/science. We are focusing on the Blue Belt Solving Equations Scroll. In class, I really wanted you to understand a few key lessons regarding solving equations:
1. 3 Steps to Solving: 1. Simplify both sides 2. Regroup/Rearrange Like Terms 3. Solve
2. Whenever you see “Solve for a variable” You want to isolate that variable on one side of the equation. Use opposite operations and of course, the Golden Rule for Solving Equations: Whatever you do for one side, you must do the same thing to the other side.
Everyone should be working on that Blue Belt Scroll and tonight, you should be at least on page 16. We will another advancement for all of you who are not Blue Belts yet…you know who you are!
Also, if you need extra help…I am here for you afterschool for some tutoring! Stop by, check in and get what you need!
Tomorrow is our Rocket Design Challenge: Propulsion System. You and your group should have at least 3-4 two liters bottles for so that we can build your propulsion system. It will be a busy day so be ready!
Stay on top of that Blue Belt!!
Whew….What a day! We had a great time building our fist stage rocket and learning. Today was a focus on understanding the basics of rocket engineering; many, had great success and I think we are moving forward to what our multi-stage rockets will need to be and look like. I am excited about where we are heading!
For HW tonight, we have an advancement tomorrow for those that are ready for the Blue Belt Advancement. There are a handful of you who are mostly done with the Blue Belt Scroll on solving equations so be ready to take it tomorrow. But, if you are not done with the Blue Belt Scroll then keep working on it and we’ll continue our work on it tomorrow- be ready to take it next week…..it’s all about different paces for different faces.
Good Job Rocketeers!
What has been happening? We have been burning time with SLC’s, Exhibitions, and Halloween festivities. Now, things are settling down and we can get back in the groove to pursuing your Blue Belt in Solving Equations. At the same time, it is time to start building rockets!! This week is a very important Research & Design Week to gather materials, research possible rocket designs, and get ready for our big build next week.
We had a packed class today as we brought the D=RT (D E RT formula for Velocity) together with How Fast Will My Egg Go and conversions together. It was due today. We also started finishing up the Mystery Gold Coins Game…highlighting the balanced nature of solving algebraic equations……Overall, today I pushed you to be even more mindful, and focused during our instructional activities often saying the catch phrase, “Did you CLUTCH it?” Remember, that game from last week?? I want you to Clutch what is happening in class and what I want you to learn each day…takeaway, from class each day.
For HW tonight and this week, work on the Blue Belt Scroll. You should be to at least page 5 in your Blue Belt Scroll. If you are not an Orange Belt yet, you should at a minimum be going to tutoring to get that all important belt. We will have a Blue Belt Advancement this week….so work hard this week on it! We have to move and work hard on this as we will be starting a brand new Discipline after Thanksgiving which means you need to have your Black Belt before Thanksgiving!
Lots going on and it will get busier…so keep a handle on your daily academic responsibilities!
Ganbate Kudasai (Give it your Best Effort)
I hope you are having a great 3 uhhhmmm….no, make that a 4 day holiday for you. Take a little time to practice your Orange Belt so that you can take the advancement when you return. However, I will be out of town until Wednesday so if you feel you need more review you can wait to take it when I return. Our schedule on Friday didn’t really allow us time to work on the Exponents so I want to give you the benefit of the doubt.
We will be having our Egg Drop on Thursday so you’ll have some time to build, redesign for our big drop on Thursday. Lots going on and trying to be flexible for everyone’s needs!
Good Luck and get some studying done on the Orange Belt especially those pesky exponents!
Good Job this week! Wrapping up the week will give us time to get ready for our Egg Drop Design next week and finish off the Orange Belt Scroll for the Exponents/Radicals Advancement next Friday! Water Balloon tossing got you thinking about momentum and Impulse and for this weekend, if you want to take your knowledge to another level, you can tackle an extra credit/excellency option: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/momentum/ Read through the 3 sections on Momentum & Conservation taking notes on each section. I sent you an email outlining the assignment. The website is called The Physics Classroom and we will be using to supplement and extend our knowledge on the concepts of Physics, kinematics, and dynamics. So, roll up your sleeves and engage yourself in some classical academic work…..it’s like eating spinach- not the most enjoyable experience but really, really good for you!
I know all of you can do it…now, which one will have the initiative to make it happen. You should have 3 pages of notes: 1 page for each section of the reading! Good Luck!